Monday, December 27, 2010

Word Of The Day


from dictionary.com

Obsequious -1.  characterized by or showing servile complaisance or deference; fawning: an obsequious bow.


                              2. servilely compliant or deferential: obsequious servants.

                              3. obedient; dutiful.
 
The photo gives a prime example of obsequious behavior. The man doing the kissing is Nurdin Halid, the head of the Indonesian Soccer Association and the man on the receiving end is Susilo Bambang Yudyono - the current President of Indonesia. Is this sort of thing still common between adults and elites? I thought that such slavish salaaming was just between children and their parents. To be either the kisser or the kissee in this picture would be very uncomfortable for me.
 
photo was lifted from the internet

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi PJ,

Now I know what the word really means.

About salim (bow and kiss hand), usually done by a younger person, especially children, to eldre ones.

pj said...

Thats what I thought Harry. I've never seen this adult to adult.

colson said...

A hilarious picture. And it is revealing what kind of man he is: worthless.

It,s no exception though. People cringe all the time. I remember our Dutch prime minister and minister of foreign affairs ( Jaap de Hoop Scheffer) visiting president Bush. This man didn't kiss hands, but walked like a servile dig behind his master (the real master I mean, Bush).

(I felt it was a national humiliation. But he was rewarded with the leadership job of NATO).

pj said...

Indeed when the situation demands deference is the rule. When I worked in the middle east (years ago now) we were routinely humilated by our clients - just the way things were/are done. But I never had to kiss hands.

Btw I never knew who was nurdin halim was until I saw the pic. At least the president had the grace to look embarrassed - sort of anyway.